Did you know that there are 3.5 million truck drivers working in the United States today? If that seems like a big number, remember this--according to the American Trucking Association (ATA), a whopping 71% of the nation’s freight, by weight, is moved by trucks.
Where would we be without the dedicated men and women who live a great portion of their lives on the road--hauling everything from the food we eat to the materials used to build our houses and our stores and our churches?
We’d be in a world of hurt!
This week--September 9-September 15--is National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, a week when America takes time out to honor truck drivers. The economy depends on drivers and their commitment to the long hours away from home and to the physical demands inherent in driving trucks for a living.
Here at Pyramid Transport, we honor drivers every day because we understand just how important they are to our economy and our business. Drivers are the lifeforce of the trucking industry.
Here are a few important facts you might not know about drivers---
- The average truck driver is 55 years old. (US Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- 6% or about 200,000 of those drivers are women. (ATA)
- The median wage for a truck driver is $42,480. (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- While the rest of us are resting or celebrating, many truck drivers are working weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Truck drivers are often away from home at least 240 nights a year.
- The average semi-truck driver might drive 125,000 miles a year! (Advanced Technology Institute)
- Truck driving is the most common job in 29 states. (Fleetowner)
- The need for truck drivers is growing at about 5% a year, and the trucking industry is experiencing a driver shortage that just won’t quit!
Here at Pyramid Transport, we want to say Thank You! We work with drivers every day--that’s why one week could never be enough to honor the hard work of these strong and dedicated men and women.
Give us a call if you want to know more about the ways we honor drivers and carriers every day of the year. With over 5,000 carriers, we are always looking to add qualified and committed carriers to the Pyramid Family.